Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Daydreaming

I was one of those kids who was always in my imagination, trying to bring what I envisioned into life. I wanted to build a playhouse or a tree house. I would dream up my own versions of skits and plays, forcing my younger siblings and friends, who were like siblings to me, to perform a variety show for our parents in our downstairs den, costumes and all! Our school had a yearly May Festival, and I recreated my version in our South Pasadena backyard, selling tickets to my mother so she could buy the cookies that were used with ingredients that she had purchased! As I crossed over into Junior High, these activities seemed silly, and not so cool. This is when my time with my imagination dwindled. 

With all the responsibilities and practicalities of life, I craved something more, but couldn't put my finger on it. What seemed silly and uncool as a teenager became something I would long for as I reached adulthood, and it continued to nag at me. What I wanted was to find what gave me that joy, as I was putting my imagination into life; the creativity in my being needed expression. As corny and clique as it may sound, I wanted a passion...something that I got excited about, something that I couldn't stop thinking about, something that I enjoyed so much that time just passed by!

In order to find that need, that want, that passion in us, we need to quiet our mind, and look inward to find the clarity of our thoughts and awareness of what gives us joy. Personally, I pray and trust that God's plan will unfold, but with my stubbornness, I was never still enough to listen. This is where meditation and journaling have helped me.

Take action, and don't give up on your dreams! As you steadily realize what drives you, you will begin to just do what makes you excited & invigorated, bringing joy in your life!

<3 Cheryl Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment